Friday, December 21, 2007

Home Schooled Students

Twas a few days after grades were turned and all through the campus not a professor stirred, not even the early tenure hopefuls.

My grades had been posted and several malt beverages had been toasted.

An what should appear at my door?

Was it Prancer, was it Dancer?

No!

It was that bore!

The one who was home schooled and taught by mom.

He had just found out his grade in my class had been a bomb.

This has never happened to me before, I've always done well.

I replied with a huff and a snort, I'm a teaching professional and not your mother.

I give credit where credit is due.

And unfortunately young man, the grade you've earned is true!

So away to the parking lot I did fly

And with a tip of my hat, I bade him good-bye!

(My sincerest apologies to the fine English faculty over in Radford!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this just and attempt at humor, a real story about a student, or just a shot at homeschooling in general?

Douglas McCloud said...

Um, both. It happened. My experience with some home-schooled students is that they have a hard time dealing with failure and that when they are having difficulties with subject matter, they tend to not seek help until it is too late